Saturday, May 3, 2008

Dorney Park 2008 Opening Day Part 1


Today was Dorney Park's opening day for the 2008 season. The weather wasn't that great, but I made it out to the park to take some pictures, enjoy some rides, and see what's new this year.

As we know, Voodoo is not opening until late May. They have some new banners up in the park featuring Voodoo.

They've just started construction for the building that will hold Club Blood this fall. They took out some of the hill that was here and put a construction wall up.

View from the other side. When on Hydra I could see that they have cleared out the area for the building, but it looks like construction is still in the early stages.

99.9 The Hawk was at the park for opening day, they had a spinning wheel that guests could try to win a prize at - not sure what they would have won, though.

The Peanuts characters are the only entertainment in the park until Memorial Day weekend.

Hydra was open, along with all the other coasters except Voodoo and Laser. I took a spin on Hydra and the rattle was really bad today. Aside from that it's still a fun ride.

Very little difference, but this island finally got a little fence around it - I always hated seeing people tromping through it during the summer when it's full of flowers.

Just needed to stop and take a pic to show how Voodoo looks from across the park.

This deal is back again this year, if you're going to visit often and like to drink a lot, well, I guess it makes sense!

Just wanted to take these shots because I can with my new camera!

I took notice of these little guys and had to snap a picture, they're so cute! Too bad they grow up to be pretty mean birds...

Not sure exactly what the deal was with this, but it made me feel like I was in Disney with people trying to sell me a timeshare. It's probably something along those lines ... but I was going to let them give me the speech in order to find out for sure.

The Whip got a fantastic new sign! I really like the design. But that's not all the love that the ride got...

The entire attraction has a new wood floor this year. They were also able to make an exit from the ride platform that helps better control crowds. Three cheers to Dorney for not only keeping this classic, but actually spending a good deal of cash to give it the attention it needs!


Laser's sign was moved when it was displaced by a basketball game. For the record, the ride has no new paint and no visible changes that I could tell.

Solomon's Snacks has turned into Icee Mix It Up. I hope they have a hose nearby to clean the place up during the summer! Looks fun though, really - not very popular today because it was so cold!

I was taking a break and realized just how much the trees and stuff has grown in around Camp Snoopy over the years. Now that the trees are so big the Camp aspect sure fits better!

They're pushing Season Passes in a lot of ads around the park, also making note that pass holders get in free to The Haunt this fall - something that all Cedar Fair parks seems to be marketing this year.

Sorry for the glares - here's a couple new posters that are on the side of the Arcade, one for The Haunt and a nice Voodoo poster.

Part 2 will be all the Voodoo photos I took - there are many. That part will be up soon!


4 comments:

DrewJ said...

What Camera do you use?

Great pics by the way. Since I haven't been to Dorney this would be my first inside look at it. Looks like a park that might be cool to visit some day...


TTDfreak

NewsPlusNotes said...

I am now using the Canon PowerShot SX100IS. It's been good, so far.

ernie. said...

Yeah those are Canadian geese....stay away from them.

LL73 said...

wow, solomans (along w.the soft serve ice cream stand across from the apollo ride) was where i worked my 1st summer back in h.s. it is quite different here from the set up we had in the late 80s